Main Cities of La Pampa

Editor's note: It is not included the entirety of the towns and cities of La Pampa

• Caleufú and Trenel, Towns of Wood: the route that opens in the west of National Route 35, next to Trenel, has been -till recent times- a dusty way, and some tracks were feared by vans and trucks. That line was the natural exit of many great woodcutter groups present in La Pampa fifty years ago. Going to the border with San Luis province, you can still see some findings and the majestic forestland; this is the best area for caldén. It is precisely there (Caleufú, 30km from route 35), in one of these “towns of wood”, where you can still see one of the most ancient trees of Argentina: the giant caldén El Recado, called after the name of the place in which it is located.Comparable -in its magnitude- to “Carobe Grandfather”, the character of a song that Antonio Esteban Agüero would sing in San Luis, this many times centennial or, may be, millenary tree stands dominating what was, in times of Desert War, the most important and mysterious place: the lagoon of Trenel. Formerly, Colonel Manuel Baigorria lived in this area of Ranquelinos. Today, with a past plenty of legends, this impressing vegetal monument is an example of strength and life in its most beautiful and useful ways.

• Carro Quemado and a visit to the past: the locality of Carro Quemado, 125km from Santa Rosa, possesses a whole “heritage from the past”. In the midst of a little, plain and wild town, surrounded by a country landscape, nature and history live together. There those who visit the farm “ La Marianita” -besides its excellent touristic service- will find pieces of the pampean archeology, gaucho silvery, collections of antique bottles, replicas of aboriginal pottery and an Artisanal Workshop, where you will find the rescue of America’s art and the value of the Pampa art. Undoubtedly, the past is never as present as when you tour the Orgales Family Museum; yesterday, the first grocery’s in the town and today, a general store, a store of memories. This museum is a true treasure that gathers data and curiosities of a past full of experiences, in which you will find the remains of the mythical “Carro” from which the town takes its name: “Carro Quemado (burned truck)”. To know it is to be partaker of the past of La Pampa and it deserves to be visited by whoever loves the province.

• Colonia Barón and The Temple of Colonia San José: "the Temple of Colonia San José -whose historic plaque shows that it was founded on April 21, 1929- was declared Provincial Historic Monument on August 12, 1983. Located in the Colonia San José, a rural area of Colonia Barón, the temple has unique historic features and is the most important religious center in the pampean north, and one of the most relevant in the whole province. Today you can visit it in order to admire its richness and contemplate the images and the inner beautiness of an amazing architecture.
Very near, in Colonia Barón, the communal seat of the area, an important camping and a swimming pool are waiting for the visitor.

• Doblas and the "Expo Apícola". This little but industrious location, situated a few kilometers from Santa Rosa, started promoting and trading honey almost a decade ago and has presently reached significant production levels.
Since 1993, the “Expo Apícola Doblas” has been held in that location and it is one of the most important commercial and industrial fair in the country regarding this activity, in which every year (in August) the most important producers, exhibitors and speakers meet.

• Eduardo Castex and the feast of wheat: alhough in all the towns of La Pampa the presence of settlers is a constant, maybe in none of them this circumstances and its consequences is as clear cut as in the case of Eduardo Castex. The locality is on National Route 35 and halfway between Realicó and Santa Rosa. Once a year, this place -located at a strip of the pampean forestland doors- pays homage to those pioneers and their descendants by celebrating during the last week of January the Provincial Feast of wheat. This feast became an important sociocultural event in a huge area.

• General San Martín and the Salt Feast: Villa Alba was founded on August 16, 1901. This name was changed for General San Martín in 1944. It is located in Hucal district, next to National Route 35, which connects Santa Rosa with Bahía Blanca. Since its foundation, Agriculture, specifically the production of wheat, has been fundamental for the economic development of this locality. Also important is the production of the still active salt mine “La Colorada Grande”. Every year, in November, General San Martín celebrates the Feast of Salt.

• Ingeniero Luiggi and its feasts: Ingeniero Luiggi was founded in 1910. It is located in the west of the humid pampa and within it, where the railways start, next to the occidental limit with Realicó district. The soil is plain, with slight undulations, and up to that points it presents the best climate and soil conditions for farming activities. The town was born with 139 blocks and the present design, with 4 diagonals that converge towards the central square. Italian engineer Luis Luiggi (1856-1931), who also built the Navy Base Punta Alta, prepared the drawings. The Horse Pampean Feast, held in January, made famous the town; at present, is the classic selection for the National Folklore Feast of “Cosquín” in Córdoba province. Luiggi was always popular due to the dancing parties and meetings that gathered people of a huge area, even the neighbor province of San Luis.

• Intendente Alvear and the National Festival: currently, La Pampa has the best polo of the world, or the best polo players, which is quite the same. If you want to see it, you have to travel up to the polo club of Chapaleufú located in the centennial northern locality of Intendente Alvear. There, they say, “they will never know if they have the best horses because they have the best polo players or if they have the best players because, at the same time, they have the best short horse trainers and tamers...”. To reassure its soul of old criollo town, once a year Alvear vibrates with other folk manifestations. During the last week of January and February, the National Festival of Taming and Folklore takes place. For some days the best horsemen of Argentina and bordering countries and the best voices and guitars move under the aged trees of Alvear and for one night they show their skills on stage or in the brake-in field.

• La Adela and Anzoátegui large salt mines: “La Adela” is a picturesque town located on National Route 154 and 22, on the left margin of Colorado River, the provincial limit between La Pampa and Río Negro. La Adela little town was founded on August 26, 1909, and has the name of a shop of late last century, with which the place was identified. A close communication with (the river between) Río Colorado city sets the stage for an important service offer in the area: hotel and restaurants. Many touristic projects related to the river are underway. Although the area is chiefly suitable for cattle breeding, with an important cold packing plant installed, it offers grains like wheat, tomatoes plantations and fruits, coupled with salt production.

• Macachín and Hidalgo large salt mines: it is the seat of the principal Basque community of the province, and one of the most important of the country. It has important hotels and recreational and sportive facilities that provide the tourist with the ideal rest. Historically, it shares with General San Martín and Anzoátegui the principal production and exploitation of salt.

• Miguel Riglos and the "Expo": Miguel Riglos, which belongs to the Atreucó district, is located next to one of the railroads that enter into La Pampa, and the southeast of the cross between Provincial Routes 1 and 14. The foundation date is November 11, 1911. In early times, it can be underlined the abundance of wool stock and the sheep shearing as a job opportunity; but sheep decreased and cattle prevailed. Among cereals the most important is wheat. Large stores gradually turned into specific shops for determined sectors. At present times, the municipality has developed a Disposal Plant, which is a good example of the economic progress of the province. «Expo Riglos» is a farm and trade show held annually, and every year it increases the number of attendees.

• Miguel Cané: Miguel Cané, located less than 15km from Buenos Aires Province and provincial route Nº1 was founded in 1908 .
This vigorous locality belongs to Quemú Quemú district and had his first communal organization in 1919; now it became a municipality. Farming activity constitutes the main income source; Dairy production should be underlined due to its significant industry located in the same locality. Also, there is an important plant for dairy production in a rural area.

• Pichi Huinca and the Recreational Area: although this area in the south of Rancul district is located in a forestland of La Pampa, agriculture is the principal activity. The beginning of this community is connected with the arrival of settlers, who in the first years did not constitute a locality itself but a farming colony. Through the years, Pichi Huinca has been building the necessary structure for its advance, showing the energy that identifies it. The police station, the mail office, the civil registry and the magistrate’s court are buildings of old time. In late 1997, the locality inaugurated an important complex comprising two swimming pools -one imitating an artificial lake with falls of 6m- with water slides and surrounded by a great woodland and a high cave in which you will find the Virgin of the Miraculous Medal. There you can also find fireplaces, tables, benches and a camping area.

• Quehué and the "Big Hunting Feast". This location, which defines itself as the “big hunting capital”, is an excellent hunting area of approximately 120 thousand hectares and has very important trophies on its records. The Quehué Valley, presents one of the most attractive geographical features of the province and provides space for a modern farm and a meat processing plant engaged in the whole husbandry of red deers, which are then exported or sent to the main game reserves. Every year, approximately in October, Quehué is the meeting place where hunting lovers coming from every place in the country meet at the Big Game Provincial Feast.

• Quetrequén and its Recreational Park: the recreational park “San Francisco de Asís de Quetrequén” was inaugurated in 1909. Visitors may find individuals barbecues, games for children, drinking water, light, restrooms, benches, sandy grounds, an artificial lake with falls, a camping area, a shed, etc. During the season, passersby and people from Quetrenquén visit the place, which is one of all the examples of quiet and ordered work of the provincial towns.

• Santa Isabel and the "Goat's Provincial Feast". At present Santa Isabel is one of the main junctions where National Highways Nº 143 and 151, and the Provincial Highway Nº 20 converge. This road laying predicts an important development for this little town for the next years, as some service companies have already started investing. It is a breeding area par excellence, specially goats. This is why every year, in December, the Goat’s Provincial Feast, which is well known in the area, takes place in Santa Isabel and attracts people from the west of La Pampa Province, south of San Luis Province, and the region of Cuyo. Besides, native people manufacture the best pampean handicrafts utilizing aboriginal methods as some of them are descendant from the former settlors.

• Winifreda and the Cacique Pincén: the locality of Winifreda, located on National Route 35 between Santa Rosa and Eduardo Castex, where the pavement towards the pampean starts, is remembered because of its former big production of hogs and was always an important area for wheat cultivation. The indomitable Cacique Pincén and his tribe lived in this place, in which there are still reminiscences of their fights and adventures, blended with other cultures and different immigrants among which the Saxons, who settled this industrious area, should be underlined. Today the locality grows under the protection of its institutions, among which the domestic Electricity Cooperative has recently opened a state-of-the-art hotel.


La Adela

 


Miguel Riglos

 


Colonia Barón

 


Trenel

 

<< click here to Return to the previous page

 

Copyright © REGION® Empresa Periodística. All Rights Reserved.
Main office: Urquiza 640 (L6300EAN) Santa Rosa - La Pampa - Patagonia Argentina
Tel/Fax: +54 2954 432164 - E-mail: [email protected]